Your home should be your sanctuary — a place where you and your family can retreat to at the end of a busy day. However, a sink full of dirty dishes, piles of clothes waiting to be washed, and heaps of clutter can make your home environment feel less than peaceful.
Fortunately, there are many simple ways to create a more relaxing living space. With this in mind, here are some top ways to turn your home into a sanctuary:
- Give your home interiors some TLC. All home interiors naturally start to show signs of wear and tear over time. It can be anything from cracked paint and peeling plastic to dents and scratches in the walls. This can give your home an unkempt appearance and cause feelings of unease, especially when you have guests coming over. Fortunately, interior wall damage is super quick and easy to fix with the help of home repair kits which you can buy at most home improvement stores. If you don’t have many DIY skills and want a professional finish, then you can always hire a handyman to complete the work for you.
- Paint your wall in soothing colors. Giving your interiors a fresh coat of paint is another quick, simple, and affordable way to instantly freshen up your home. What’s more, many studies have found that certain colors have the power to heal, soothe and effectively boost mood. When redecorating, you can take the opportunity to choose colors that have known healing and relaxation properties. Some of the most soothing paint colors include blue, violet, pink, and green. These colors are known to create feelings of relaxation and calmness, so be sure to try and include some of these shades in your painting project.
- Create a relaxation room. A relaxation room can provide the perfect space for you to retreat to at the end of a stressful day. In today’s busy society, it’s important for everyone to have a place where they can relax, unwind, and deal with stress in a calm environment.
Meanwhile, here are some top tips to help you create the perfect relaxation room in your home:
- Find ways to relax – People relax in different ways and it’s important to find effective relaxation techniques that work for you. This could be reading a book, catching up on your favorite TV soaps, painting, or writing in a journal.
- Create a relaxing atmosphere – You can easily create a relaxing atmosphere with things like candles, scented oils and music. You can also make the room more comfortable with things like blankets and extra cushions.
- Choose a clean, quiet room – This may be your bedroom, spare room, lounge or office. Wherever you choose, make sure that it’s peaceful and free from clutter and other stressors.
- Banish the clutter – An untidy or cluttered living space can create or heighten feelings of stress and anxiety. According to curiousmindmagazine.com, “Messy homes leave us feeling anxious, helpless, and overwhelmed. Yet, rarely is clutter recognized as a significant source of stress in our lives.”. Having too much clutter can also make it more difficult to find items that you need everyday, leading to further stress. For instance, you can’t find your car keys which are hidden under a pile of old papers, thus you get to work late as a result. You are then likely to arrive at work feeling stressed and flustered which will have an obvious negative effect on both your mood and productivity. Start clearing one room at a time and throw out or donate any broken, unused or unwanted items. Prevent clutter from re-accumulating by keeping your home organized and having plenty of designated storage spaces to keep items.
- Bring some nature into your home – Spending time in nature has been shown to effectively boost mood and reduce feelings of stress and anxiety. Including nature in your home can be an excellent way to create a calm and relaxed atmosphere. Keeping fresh flowers in vases, placing indoor potted plants around your home, and growing your own herbs in the kitchen are some simple ways to do this.
Your home should be a sanctuary — a peaceful place where you can relax, unwind and spend time with your family. Use some of the above tips to help turn your home into a sanctuary and create a peaceful living space.
Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.
Let’s stay connected: