I would like to share with you my friend’s experience yesterday outside Banco De Oro along Gen. Kalentong near Shaw Boulevard, so as to warn you and help you avoid this kind of incident in the future.
At around 9:30am last Friday June 11, 2010, my friend Gem (not her real name) stepped out of Banco De Oro (BDO) along Gen. Kalentong and Shaw Blvd. after she had done some personal banking. She got into her car and started to back out of the bank’s parking space. Suddenly she heard a thud and heard a man talking animatedly outside her car. He was pointing to her rear left wheel. She got out of the car to check what happened. The man was wearing a T-shirt, jeans, and a knapsack slung across his chest. He looked like an ordinary guy, not in any way suspicious. My friend looked at her tire and the back of her vehicle and did not see anything amiss. She got back in the driver’s seat and started to drive away. When she looked at the passenger seat beside her, her whole bag was gone.
- When driving, if you are uncertain of what’s happening, do not under any circumstances get out of the car. This is especially true if you’re all by yourself. Drive away.
- Do not stop or get out of the car for strangers. Let them shout, point, and babble outside the car. Drive away. When in doubt, drive to the nearest well-populated gas station or police station and inspect your car there.
- If someone throws something at your car, drive away quickly without hesitation. Do not ever try to confront the person. This is usually just a diversionary tactic to try and get you out of the car.
- If a stranger tries to block your path, run him over. I’m not kidding. Don’t give him any opportunity to do anything rash like draw a weapon or force you out of the car.
- Do not leave valuables inside your car. I have friends who have had their car windows broken while parked.
- Make sure you are already holding your car key before you get to where you’re parked. This is so you can get in right away and lock your doors. Fumbling for the key while standing right outside your car is a big no-no.