Three bloggers, namely myself, Annalyn, and Kelly, hosted a Samsung Smart Oven Giveaway a couple of weeks ago. We asked our readers to share their best recipe for a chance to win a Samsung Smart Oven and a Samsung RT6000 Refrigerator. The way it went was, the winning contestants from each our blogs would each get a Samsung Smart Oven. Then they would move on to compete in a cook off hosted by Samsung where the Samsung reps and Chef Ernest Reynoso Gala would judge which of the three would win the ref.
Anyhow, I would like you to meet my blog’s winner Richmond Victor Ejanda, or Vic for short. Vic is a food scientist who likes to cook, experiment with food, and well… make his own beer! I picked Vic’s recipe since it made use of mostly natural ingredients (herbs and spices) and I’d like to advocate healthy eating whenever I can.
Since I can’t cook to save my life, I don’t know the first thing about shopping for ingredients at a market. I asked Vic to do the shopping which Samsung sponsored and he was more than happy to oblige, lol! I was impressed by the chicken he brought to the cook off.
Vic did all the preparation in maybe 15 minutes (mostly cutting and rubbing) and then popped the chicken in the oven. We were only given an hour for everything so he was able to roast for only 40 minutes. It would have been better if we had a full hour in the oven.
Thank goodness the chicken was fully cooked when we brought it out!
It smelled so good and when we tasted it, wow! Tender and tasty, again I was told (and even Chef Ernest said so) that this would be an even more flavorful dish with those additional minutes in the oven (we needed at least 20 minutes more). I’m totally asking our cook to replicate this at home. Anyhow, let me share with you Vic’s winning recipe:
Homestyle Roasted Chicken with Basil Leaves and Lemongrass
By: Richmond Victor Ejanda
- One whole chicken
- 1 Lemon
- Lemongrass (6 stalks)
- Olive Oil (at least 10 – 15 ml)
- 2 tsp Basil Leaves (dried)
- 2 tsp Onion and Garlic (for seasoning)
- Rinse the raw chicken in running water to remove dirt and blood stains.
- Rub chicken with table salt and squeeze lemon onto the chicken.
- Pour olive oil on all parts of the chicken.
- Rub the inside and outside of the chicken with onion, garlic, and dried basil.
- Insert lemongrass inside the chicken.
- Preheat the oven at 450° for 10 minutes.
- Carefully place the chicken inside the oven and set it to 250°C for 60 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over and continue to roast for 30 more minutes. You may lower the temperature to 200°C.
Serves 4-5 persons, depending on the size of the chicken.
Everyone got to take home a Samsung Smart Oven, us bloggers included! 😀
Kelly’s contestant Rocky won the refrigerator, so both him and Kelly each got to take home a ref and an oven!
Anyhow, it was a fun and unique event, thank you Samsung Philippines for the opportunity! I’m super excited to use the Samsung Smart Oven, especially the Slim Fry feature so we can fry without oil! 😀
Like this post? Subscribe to this blog by clicking HERE.
Let’s stay connected: